It’s been a little while since we had an in-depth look at some race bikes here on Tri247… too long!
So, to get back into the swing of things how about something a little different to our ‘norm’? Sunday’s XTERRA World Championship in Maui was the pinnacle of the off-road triathlon season and, of course, needs some very specific equipment to conquer its challenges.
One of the British Age-Group athletes racing this past weekend as Jon Heasman, a very experienced athlete who has been to Kona previously as well as being a long-term fan of the off-road format, winning several races on the domestic circuit.
Here’s a look at the new Scott Spark 900 RC 29er which John used to take on the Maui course.
The XTERRA World Championship on the island of Maui, Hawaii is spectacular for many reasons… and bike choice here is critical! You want the lightest bike possible as the 32k course features 1,000 metres of climbing, much of which is extremely steep and technical with some sections ramping up to over 24% in some incredibly taxing single track. With that in mind, you’ll understand my recent addiction to long and steep hill reps!
Given that, my weapon of choice is the new Scott Spark 900 RC 29er full carbon full suspension race machine featuring SRAM’s latest and top of the line XX1 Eagle groupset with the super wide range 1×12 speed drivetrain. Just one front chainring… but gearing for every situation!
The bike features a C-Bear ceramic bottom bracket for super smooth power delivery and efficiency, spinning up the latest Vittoria Reacxion SL 29er Race wheel set with matching gold decals weighing in at 1485g with boost Hub.
These are fitted with Vittoria’s latest XC tyres, the super fast rolling and reliable Mezcal TNT Tyres with the 4 compounds and Graphene all set up tubeless with Vittoria EVO pit stop Sealant.
- SRAM Eagle 1 x 12 (gold rear cassette), 10-50
- SRAM XX1 Rear derailier with C-Bear Ceramic jockey wheels
- Absolute Black 34 Tooth Oval chain ring (in gold)
- C-Bear Ceramic Bottom Bracket
- Vittoria Reaxcion SL 29er wheel set (gold decals) featuring 4 pawl SwitchIT 2 MTB hub with Tubeless ready with Speed lock rim design
- Vittoria Mezcal TNT TLR tyres with 4 compounds and Graphene enhanced rubber
- Fox 32 SC Float Performance fork has 100mm travel
- Fox Float Nude shock gives 70-100mm of rear travel
You can read the 2017 XTEERA World Championship race report HERE.