TRI247 Workout Series #51 – 40/20’s FTP Booster
Wednesday, 12th December 7.00pm UK time on Zwift
(ZWIFT LINK >>> https://zwift.com/events/view/109106)
For this Wednesday’s TRI247 Workout Series session on Zwift, we are going to return to a popular session that we first included on our schedule in early October, the 40/20’s FTP Booster.
It was a great session first time around, so join us for an hour of quality, structured training – suitable for athletes of all abilities.
The 40/20’s FTP Booster session
The workout is based around four sets of ’40 seconds on, 20 seconds off’ intervals, each separated by five minutes recovery. When ‘on’ you’ll be working well above FTP power, approaching VO2 Max levels, before a short recovery and repeat.
Starting with 10 reps, subsequent blocks will be eight, six and four respectively… but with the accumulated fatigue, will the session get easier or harder as we progress through the hour? Join us and find out!
Join us at 7p.m. tonight on the virtual roads Watopia!
[To set your reminder, click here: http://zwift.com/events/view/109106]
You can find the custom workout files from all of the previous TRI247 Workout Series sessions on these links, to download and do ride again in your own time:
Custom Workout downloads from previous Zwift sessions:
- Lucy Charles ‘Over-Unders’
- Lucy Gossage ’12 Days of Christmas’
- Lionel Sanders ‘Intervals’
- Joe Skipper ‘ Burner’
- John Levison ‘High Five’
- Ruth Purbrook ‘Over Gears’
- Tim Don ‘Comeback’
- Reece Barclay ‘Mix Session’
- Harry Wiltshire ‘Grim Reaper’
- Paul Shanley ‘Pyramids’
- Karl Alexander ‘VO 2 The Max’
- Jenny Gowans ‘Norse Steps’
- Matt Bottrill ‘Lactic Builder’
- John Levison ‘Russian Steps’
- Sam Begg ‘What Goes Up, Must Come Down’
- Paul Shanley ‘70.3 Minutes’
- Karl Alexander ‘The 13:50 (10 to 2)’
- Richard Stannard ‘FTP Advancer’
- Race Force ‘ChainGang’
- Simon George ‘The Giant’
- Natarsha Tremayne ‘Stomp The Pedal’
- Chris Standidge ‘The Championship Decider’
- Lesley Levison ‘Spiked Tempo’
- Bex Rimmington ‘ Maximal Efforts’
- Coach Kevin Poulton’s ‘Progressive 11’s’
- ‘The Kitchen Sink’ – set by TRI247 Editor John Levison
- John Levison ‘A Bit of Speed too…’
- ‘Glasgow Revisited’ – John Levison
- ‘Club Relays Madness’ – John Levison
- ‘John Levison’s A Bit (More) Speed Too’
- The Dragon – John Levison
- Sweetspot with a Kick – set by TRI247 Editor John Levison
- John Levison’s ’40/20’s FTP Booster’
- Micro Burst Intervals
- Short and Sweet(spot)
- Micro Burst Intervals 2
- Sweetspot Sandwich
- The Sweet Ladder
- 50 Shades of Power!
The workout will begin promptly at 7.00pm UK time, Wednesday 12th December 2018. It is worth logging in 10 or 15 minutes before the session to make sure you are set up and ready to go, where you will be able to warm up in the virtual ‘holding pen’.
Look for the TRI247 Workout Series event in the list on the right of the screen once you have paired your sensors. Click to JOIN and you will be taken to the start line ready to begin the workout.
Make sure you have set your FTP level correctly before you join the workout as all the intervals are based on a percentage of FTP so it is important to get that right. If in doubt, dial the FTP number down 10 or 20 watts as it is better to finish the session than to feel like it is too challenging.
If you have never used Zwift before but don’t want to miss out, head to the Zwift support page for tips on how to get the most out of your setup.
After the session head over to the TRI247 Facebook page for some post ride chat.
Zwift Group Rides: TRI247 Workout Series
The cool thing about a group workout on Zwift is that varying levels of ability can ride together in a group and all finish the session together having done the same relative effort, even if the actual watts are significantly different. It is not a race, but a shared goal to get a good session in the training log.