2012 Olympic champion Nicola Spirig and 2013 World Champion Non Stanford are among representatives who have been elected to the World Triathlon Athletes Committee.
The pair were announced this week along with eight other stars to play an active part in decision making to better the sport. Voting took place between Mid-October and November 2.
Per the World Triathlon Constitution, the Athletes Committee has the following makeup:
- The Committee includes five members of each gender
- At least one member from each of the five continents
- Eight members are elite athletes – four of each gender
- Two members are Para triathletes – one of each gender
Two members of the Athletes Committee are also included on the World Triathlon Executive Board.
World Triathlon Athletes Committee
Representatives elected to the committee are as follows:
- Non Stanford GBR Elite triathlete
- Kenji Nener JPN Elite triathlete
- Nicola Spirig SUI Elite triathlete
- Claire Michel BEL Elite triathlete
- Richard Varga SVK Elite triathlete
- Tamas Toth HUN Elite triathlete
- Allysa Seely USA Para triathlete
- Jonathan Goerlach AUS Para triathlete
- Mehdi Essadiq MAR Elite triathlete
- Basmla Elsalamoney EGY Elite triathlete
After news of her election was released, Spirig said on Twitter: “Happy to have been elected to be part of World Triathlon Athletes Committee. I will do my best to use my experience for positive change in the future and support the athletes.”
Meanwhile World Triathlon President Marisol Casado said: “Athletes have been an integral part of the decision-making process since World Triathlon was founded.
“I’m very pleased to see such a diverse range of athletes on the committee, with a wide breadth of experience, from athletes coming from developing countries to double Olympic medallists. Me and the whole World Triathlon Executive Board are really looking forward to working with them to make our sport even better.”