Will it be an Alistair Brownlee / Holly Lawrence GB double in Utah?
Don’t rule out an in-form Tim Don, winner at St. George two years ago…
After what was effectively a ‘warm-up’ race at Challenge Gran Canaria two weeks ago, Alistair Brownlee steps up significantly in his second middle distance triathlon tomorrow, when he’ll race IRONMAN 70.3 St. George in Utah. Lionel Sanders, Sebastian Kienle, Tim Don, Joe Gambles, Ben Hoffman, Brent McMahon, Sam Appleton and Kevin Collington are just a few of the key names in what should be a very high quality race.
Tim Don has been supreme so far in 2017, winning in Mexico and China – in both instances seeming to have made significant improvements to his cycling. That will surely be tested and needed tomorrow. A winner two years ago, he knows the demands of the St. George course well.
Great Britain’s current IRONMAN 70.3 World Champion, Holly Lawrence, looked incredible in her season opening race at Oceanside recently, and will certainly start as the hot favourite to step up one place from her second 12 months ago.
IRONMAN 70.3 St. George Coverage 2017
- Race day is tomorrow, Saturday 6th May 2017
- Event is also the North American Pro Championship
- The race has ‘P-1500’ Points status and a $100,000 prize purse
- Race winners will receive $20,000 each
- Full start list is HERE
- Pro race starts at 6:55a.m. local time – That is 13:55 (1.55p.m.) UK TIME [UPDATE – THIS WILL NOW BE AT 1:50PM UK TIME!]
- Race coverage via IRONMAN.com (tracking, blog, videos)
- 2016 – Lionel Sanders (CAN) / Heather Wurtele (CAN)
- 2015 – Tim Don (GBR) / Heather Wurtele (CAN)
- 2014 – Jan Frodeno (GER) / Meredith Kessler (USA)
- 2013 – Brent McMahon (CAN) / Meredith Kessler (USA)
British Pro Entries
- MEN: Alistair Brownlee, Tim Don, Stuart Hayes, Mark Buckingham
- WOMEN: Holly Lawrence, Rachel Joyce