TRI247 Workout Series #39 – Sweetspot with a Kick
Wednesday, 19th September 7.00pm UK time on Zwift
(ZWIFT LINK >>> https://zwift.com/events/view/87966)
Here are the details of Wednesday’s TRI247 Workout Series group session on Zwift. This week’s set is a brand new one called Sweetspot with a Kick.
The Sweetspot with a Kick session
This week’s session is called ‘Sweetspot with a Kick’.
The session will start with a relatively standard warm-up, and then three short sets of ‘primer’ efforts to get the blood flowing and the legs ready for the main set.
In simple terms, the main set is five repetitions of six minutes in the Sweetspot zone with a 30 second ‘kick’ at the end of each rep, taking you well above FTP. Think of that 30 second effort as a short/sharp hill before you quickly recover, and then get back into your sustainable paced effort.
Overall then, the vast majority of this week’s session is below FTP effort – but the longer reps and relatively short(er) recoveries are the thing that will come back to bite over the one hour session. Join us at 7p.m. tonight on the virtual roads of Innsbruck!
[Set yourself a reminder here: http://zwift.com/events/view/87966]
You can find the custom workout files from all of the previous TRI247 Workout Series sessions on these links, to download and do ride again in your own time:
Custom Workout downloads from previous Zwift sessions:
- Lucy Charles ‘Over-Unders’
- Lucy Gossage ’12 Days of Christmas’
- Lionel Sanders ‘Intervals’
- Joe Skipper ‘ Burner’
- John Levison ‘High Five’
- Ruth Purbrook ‘Over Gears’
- Tim Don ‘Comeback’
- Reece Barclay ‘Mix Session’
- Harry Wiltshire ‘Grim Reaper’
- Paul Shanley ‘Pyramids’
- Karl Alexander ‘VO 2 The Max’
- Jenny Gowans ‘Norse Steps’
- Matt Bottrill ‘Lactic Builder’
- John Levison ‘Russian Steps’
- Sam Begg ‘What Goes Up, Must Come Down’
- Paul Shanley ‘70.3 Minutes’
- Karl Alexander ‘The 13:50 (10 to 2)’
- Richard Stannard ‘FTP Advancer’
- Race Force ‘ChainGang’
- Simon George ‘The Giant’
- Natarsha Tremayne ‘Stomp The Pedal’
- Chris Standidge ‘The Championship Decider’
- Lesley Levison ‘Spiked Tempo’
- Bex Rimmington ‘ Maximal Efforts’
- Coach Kevin Poulton’s ‘Progressive 11’s’
- ‘The Kitchen Sink’ – set by TRI247 Editor John Levison
- John Levison ‘A Bit of Speed too…’
- ‘Glasgow Revisited’ – John Levison
- ‘Club Relays Madness’ – John Levison
- ‘John Levison’s A Bit (More) Speed Too’
The workout will begin promptly at 7.00pm UK time, Wednesday 19th September 2018. It is worth logging in 10 or 15 minutes before the session to make sure you are set up and ready to go, where you will be able to warm up in the virtual ‘holding pen’.
Look for the TRI247 Workout Series event in the list on the right of the screen once you have paired your sensors. Click to JOIN and you will be taken to the start line ready to begin the workout.
Make sure you have set your FTP level correctly before you join the workout as all the intervals are based on a percentage of FTP so it is important to get that right. If in doubt, dial the FTP number down 10 or 20 watts as it is better to finish the session than to feel like it is too challenging.
If you have never used Zwift before but don’t want to miss out, head to the Zwift support page for tips on how to get the most out of your setup.
After the session head over to the TRI247 Facebook page for some post ride chat.
Zwift Group Rides: TRI247 Workout Series
The cool thing about a group workout on Zwift is that varying levels of ability can ride together in a group and all finish the session together having done the same relative effort, even if the actual watts are significantly different. It is not a race, but a shared goal to get a good session in the training log.