“I’d thrown in the towel several times in that race!”
‘Sebastian said to me afterwards that I’d rather finish second in a good race than finish first by a mile easily – and I feel the same way. If the tables were turned, I’d still feel the same way sitting here as I do now.”
After two brilliant races yesterday, this morning I got to sit down for coffee with Lionel Sanders, the men’s winner at The Championship. It started as a stressful week, with 26 hours of travelling and no bike or bags arriving, but ended well with a memorable ‘last man standing’ effort in great head-to-head battle with Sebastian Kienle.
I also confirmed that despite previous thoughts, there is a fair chance that he WILL be racing in Kona this coming October. Watch the video below for more.
POST-RACE REFLECTIONS WITH MEN’S CHAMPION LIONEL SANDERS
(Post-race interview with women’s champion Lucy Charles is HERE)
More coverage from The Championship
- The Championship 2017: Live stream video replay
- Post-race interview with men’s champion Lionel Sanders
- Lucy Charles reflects on an epic win at The Championship
- Lionel Sanders, Lucy Charles win epic races in Slovakia
- Alistair Brownlee talks aero testing and more
- Emma Pallant interview: “get out of your comfort zone”
- Laura Siddall on turning Pro and building a career
- Kim Morrison interview: ready to put the power down