TRI247 Workout Series #62 – ‘Ramp It Up To The X’ with Steve Clark
Train with the 2017 winner of Triathlon X
Wednesday, 6th March 2019 7.00pm UK time on Zwift
(ZWIFT LINK >>> https://zwift.com/events/view/162186)
For this week’s TRI247 Workout Series group workout on Zwift, we are joined – with a brand new session – by top Age-Group athlete and coach, Steve Clark.
An experienced and talented Age-Group triathlete, he has a Sub-9 hour IRONMAN on his C.V. and in 2015 won and Age-Group Gold at the ETU Middle Distance Triathlon Championships in Rimini, Italy.
In 2017 Steve race (and won) Triathlon X, which may well be the toughest iron-distance event in the world, featuring almost 17,000 feet of climbing. Steve’s winning time of almost 14 and a half hours will give you a good indication of just how challenging an event it is. You can read about his experience HERE.
Given that, it’s perhaps not a surprise to find that Steve’s session for this week has a ‘hills’ theme, behind the Ramp It Up To The X title of the set that faces us.
Here are the details on Steve’s workout:
Following a steady warm/up, the main set comprises of three, 15-minute ‘climbs’, which will ramp up in three minute sections. We start relatively modesty at 75% FTP, before increasing steadily to just below, and then finally above, threshold for the final three minutes. For an extra twist, each 15 minute block ends with a 15 second sprint to the summit, before a very welcome three minute recovery awaits.
We then go again. And then again, before a warm/down to complete just over an hour of quality work.
Join us at 7p.m. on Wednesday 6th March 2019 (UK time) for another quality workout, where we’ll be riding the virtual roads of the Richmond UCI Worlds course. Set your reminder now on the link below or via the Zwift Companion app.
The session is genuinely open to everyone of ALL abilities. Group workout mode works fantastically in Zwift and ensures that the power targets are tailored to YOUR level. So, it makes no difference if your FTP is 400 watts or 100 watts, your set will be specific to you – all while being part of the on-screen group.
[To set your reminder, click here: https://zwift.com/events/view/162186]
You can find the custom workout files from all of the previous TRI247 Workout Series sessions on these links, to download and do ride again in your own time:
Custom Workout downloads from previous Zwift sessions:
- Lucy Charles ‘Over-Unders’
- Lucy Gossage ’12 Days of Christmas’
- Lionel Sanders ‘Intervals’
- Joe Skipper ‘ Burner’
- John Levison ‘High Five’
- Ruth Purbrook ‘Over Gears’
- Tim Don ‘Comeback’
- Reece Barclay ‘Mix Session’
- Harry Wiltshire ‘Grim Reaper’
- Paul Shanley ‘Pyramids’
- Karl Alexander ‘VO 2 The Max’
- Jenny Gowans ‘Norse Steps’
- Matt Bottrill ‘Lactic Builder’
- John Levison ‘Russian Steps’
- Sam Begg ‘What Goes Up, Must Come Down’
- Paul Shanley ‘70.3 Minutes’
- Karl Alexander ‘The 13:50 (10 to 2)’
- Richard Stannard ‘FTP Advancer’
- Race Force ‘ChainGang’
- Simon George ‘The Giant’
- Natarsha Tremayne ‘Stomp The Pedal’
- Chris Standidge ‘The Championship Decider’
- Lesley Levison ‘Spiked Tempo’
- Bex Rimmington ‘ Maximal Efforts’
- Coach Kevin Poulton’s ‘Progressive 11’s’
- ‘The Kitchen Sink’ – set by TRI247 Editor John Levison
- John Levison ‘A Bit of Speed too…’
- ‘Glasgow Revisited’ – John Levison
- ‘Club Relays Madness’ – John Levison
- ‘John Levison’s A Bit (More) Speed Too’
- The Dragon – John Levison
- Sweetspot with a Kick – set by TRI247 Editor John Levison
- John Levison’s ’40/20’s FTP Booster’
- Micro Burst Intervals
- Short and Sweet(spot)
- Micro Burst Intervals 2
- Sweetspot Sandwich
- The Sweet Ladder
- 50 Shades of Power!
- Lucy Gossage’s New Year Set
- Paul Lunn’s Kona Quest
- Progressive 4×4’s
- Louise Minchin’s Dare To Tri Big Gear Set
- Gill Fullen’s Lactic Legs Challenge
The workout will begin promptly at 7.00pm UK time, Wednesday 6th March 2019. It is worth logging in 10 or 15 minutes before the session to make sure you are set up and ready to go, where you will be able to warm up in the virtual ‘holding pen’.
Look for the TRI247 Workout Series event in the list on the right of the screen once you have paired your sensors. Click to JOIN and you will be taken to the start line ready to begin the workout.
Make sure you have set your FTP level correctly before you join the workout as all the intervals are based on a percentage of FTP so it is important to get that right. If in doubt, dial the FTP number down 10 or 20 watts as it is better to finish the session than to feel like it is too challenging.
If you have never used Zwift before but don’t want to miss out, head to the Zwift support page for tips on how to get the most out of your setup.
After the session head over to the TRI247 Facebook page for some post ride chat.
Zwift Group Rides: TRI247 Workout Series
The cool thing about a group workout on Zwift is that varying levels of ability can ride together in a group and all finish the session together having done the same relative effort, even if the actual watts are significantly different. It is not a race, but a shared goal to get a good session in the training log.