TRI247 Workout Series #53 – Lucy Gossage’s New Year Set
Wednesday, 2nd January 7.00pm UK time on Zwift
(ZWIFT LINK >>> https://zwift.com/events/view/124750)
After a week’s break over the festive period, we are very pleased to announce that the weekly TRI247 Workout Series on Zwift will kick-off 2019 tonight, lead by the 13-time iron-distance champion, Lucy Gossage.
Winner in 2018 of IRONMAN races in Lanzarote, UK (Bolton) and Wales (Tenby), the Duracell Bunny ended here year and, perhaps, her professional triathlon career by winning the Patagonman Xtreme Triathlon in Chile. An ambassador for Wattbike, Lucy is a big fan of indoor training and will lead tonight’s session with her New Year Set.
The New Year Set
If you’ve over-indulged over the festive period, this session should hopefully start to get you back on track to kick off 2019.
The main set tonights comprises of 3 sets of 10 minutes, with each 10 minute block increasing in intensity, comprised of the following:
4:30 at 85% FTP (Zone3)
3:30 at 95% FTP (Zone4)
1:30 at 110% FTP (Zone5)
0:30 at 120% FTP (Zone6)
What better way to start your New Year training campaign than an hour of quality training in the (virtual) company of one of the world’s best iron-distance triathletes.
Join us at 7p.m. tonight on the virtual roads Watopia!
[To set your reminder, click here: http://zwift.com/events/view/124750]
You can find the custom workout files from all of the previous TRI247 Workout Series sessions on these links, to download and do ride again in your own time:
Custom Workout downloads from previous Zwift sessions:
- Lucy Charles ‘Over-Unders’
- Lucy Gossage ’12 Days of Christmas’
- Lionel Sanders ‘Intervals’
- Joe Skipper ‘ Burner’
- John Levison ‘High Five’
- Ruth Purbrook ‘Over Gears’
- Tim Don ‘Comeback’
- Reece Barclay ‘Mix Session’
- Harry Wiltshire ‘Grim Reaper’
- Paul Shanley ‘Pyramids’
- Karl Alexander ‘VO 2 The Max’
- Jenny Gowans ‘Norse Steps’
- Matt Bottrill ‘Lactic Builder’
- John Levison ‘Russian Steps’
- Sam Begg ‘What Goes Up, Must Come Down’
- Paul Shanley ‘70.3 Minutes’
- Karl Alexander ‘The 13:50 (10 to 2)’
- Richard Stannard ‘FTP Advancer’
- Race Force ‘ChainGang’
- Simon George ‘The Giant’
- Natarsha Tremayne ‘Stomp The Pedal’
- Chris Standidge ‘The Championship Decider’
- Lesley Levison ‘Spiked Tempo’
- Bex Rimmington ‘ Maximal Efforts’
- Coach Kevin Poulton’s ‘Progressive 11’s’
- ‘The Kitchen Sink’ – set by TRI247 Editor John Levison
- John Levison ‘A Bit of Speed too…’
- ‘Glasgow Revisited’ – John Levison
- ‘Club Relays Madness’ – John Levison
- ‘John Levison’s A Bit (More) Speed Too’
- The Dragon – John Levison
- Sweetspot with a Kick – set by TRI247 Editor John Levison
- John Levison’s ’40/20’s FTP Booster’
- Micro Burst Intervals
- Short and Sweet(spot)
- Micro Burst Intervals 2
- Sweetspot Sandwich
- The Sweet Ladder
- 50 Shades of Power!
The workout will begin promptly at 7.00pm UK time, Wednesday 2nd January 2019. It is worth logging in 10 or 15 minutes before the session to make sure you are set up and ready to go, where you will be able to warm up in the virtual ‘holding pen’.
Look for the TRI247 Workout Series event in the list on the right of the screen once you have paired your sensors. Click to JOIN and you will be taken to the start line ready to begin the workout.
Make sure you have set your FTP level correctly before you join the workout as all the intervals are based on a percentage of FTP so it is important to get that right. If in doubt, dial the FTP number down 10 or 20 watts as it is better to finish the session than to feel like it is too challenging.
If you have never used Zwift before but don’t want to miss out, head to the Zwift support page for tips on how to get the most out of your setup.
After the session head over to the TRI247 Facebook page for some post ride chat.
Zwift Group Rides: TRI247 Workout Series
The cool thing about a group workout on Zwift is that varying levels of ability can ride together in a group and all finish the session together having done the same relative effort, even if the actual watts are significantly different. It is not a race, but a shared goal to get a good session in the training log.